Have a question for the two candidates? Publish it here by leaving a comment!
It is getting down to the wire here and McCain is behind in the Polls. It is time to take those polls seriously and take off the kid gloves if you are the Republicans.
We are going to summarize the questions we would ask Obama if we were confronting him in a debate. We will follow with a similar segment asking McCain the questions we would ask if we were confronting him. Everything goes here. It is time to get nasty.
Our opinion of Obama, and it would be the central part of our attack in any debate, is that he is great at stating what he will do with absolutely no specifics. We would primarily be asking “how”. With Obama, the key tactic has to be to pin the sucka down.
1. You say you pay for every penny of your hundreds of billions in dollars worth of programs. Tell us exactly how. If it is by closing “loopholes” and “rolling back tax cuts”, give us the specifics. What loopholes will you specifically close. What “tax cuts” are you taking away? Are you dependent on funds from your planned withdrawal from Iraq?
2. If you are rolling back tax cuts, how is that different from increasing taxes?
3. If you are focused on raising the capital gains tax and taxes on dividends, aren’t you concerned about the negative fall out on the stock markets which have already been pummeled over the mortgage fiasco? Would you also be concerned with fixed income seniors dependent on these dividends as income?
4. You claim deregulation led to the mortgage fiasco, but we fail to see the exact deregulation of which you speak. Could you elaborate?
5. Wasn’t it Barney Frank that resisted legislation sought by the Bush administration in 2003 to better regulate mortgages, and, specifically, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac? Didn’t he repeatedly say there were no problems there while the Bush administration warned of “systemic risk”?
6. On Social Security, you say you will pay for it partially by raising taxes on people making more than $250,000 a year 10 years from now. Isn’t that a cop-out on America? Aren’t we going to have to start paying back Social Security with interest in less time than that? And how does deferring the problem to your successor solve the problem now?
7. You say you want to send more troops into Afghanistan? Isn’t that just your own version of the Surge?
8. You imply you want to violate Pakistan’s borders or threaten Pakistan if we are not allowed to go after the Taliban and Al Qaeda within Pakistani borders. Of what specific threats do you speak? And if you would attack without government knowledge and cooperation, wouldn’t that be an act of war?
9. You have a plan to get us out of Iraq in 16 months. Have you asked General Petraus what he thinks of such a plan?
10. In the last debate you claim that Iraq has a huge surplus. We would like to know, if that is true, why haven’t you suggested to ask them to contribute financially to the war effort rather than using it as justification for bailing on them.
11. You claim your energy plan includes increased production. If you don’t support drilling, where would that increased production come from?
12. In an interview, you referred to your Muslim Faith, and had to be corrected. Since the beginning of the campaign, you distanced yourself from the pastor of your church for stating to “God Damn America”. What faith are you Senator? What church do you attend?
13. If you are Christian, Senator, how does abortion conflict with your Christian belief?
14. Your healthcare plan says it will include those with pre-existing conditions. How would that work Senator? Wouldn’t people just wait until something catastrophic went wrong and THEN join the plan?
15. You imply that giving tax breaks to oil companies is a bad idea, but then you say that providing a tax break to companies that invest in America is a good idea. Many oil companies invest in America, so how will you resolve that?
16. You say you may delay programs because of the financial crisis. Being absolutely specific, what programs would you delay? Do not include what we need to do. We only want the answer to the question.
17. You preach energy independence. Can you please give us your exact plan for reaching energy independence along with the time frame?
18. You speak of hard negotiations with Iran. Senator, when is the last time you were involved in any form of international negotiation?