Audio Performances at the bottom of this post.
1. Lil Rounds – “I’m Every Woman” by Chaka Khan – Lil was awful last week and should have been eliminated, but she lucked out. This week she was dressed hot and showed she clearly has the “thick” going on. She was on key and had fun with the tune. We thought she was way better this week, but would it be enough? The judges didn’t think so. Lil is one of those artists that doesn’ t need the great vocal though. They can make her look hot on the album cover and do the voice in the studio. (7/10)
2. Kris Allen – “She Works Hard For the Money” by Donna Summer – Poor vocals to begin. He made it unique, but we didn’t like it. There were some drums going on and a nice beat, but it did nothing for us at all. He didn’t be Lil. The judges liked it, and they were wrong. (7/10)
3. Danny Gokey – (Do You Remember) September – Earth, Wind and Fire – Pitchy start. Danny should skip the slow parts becase he loses it when he sings slow. When he hit the chorus he was a pro. He was waling like he has ten CDs. But that pitchy start keeps us from giving him a top score. Paula said he has one of the sexiest voices ever. (8/10)
4. Allison Iraheta – “Hot Stuff” by Donna Summer – This was Pat Benatar meets Disco. All rock on a disco tune. She made it her own and delivered on it. Any rock fan would have loved the way Allison turned disco on its head. (9/10)
5. Adam Lambert – “If I Can’t Have You” by Yvonne Elliman – Adam decided to go all falsetto to prove his range. No question, he has an almost super human range. But this was dull. He drove the tune home on every note, but we were bored. Still, we can’t fault him having to do a disco tune and he did make it 100% original. Give him Aerosmith or Led Zeppelin and he kills everyone outright. (9/10)
6. Matt Giraud – “Stayin’ Alive” by the Bee Gees – Matt doesn’t have the thick going and he doesn’t have the vocals to win this competition. He was OK here, but we actually liked Lil better this week. He had some falsetto and scream moments, which was a surprise. The judges wasted the save. Even if Lil gets eliminated instead of him, he won’t go further. Simon was the only judge that got it right. He didn’t like it. We agree. (6/10)
7. Anoop Desai – “Dim All the Lights” by Donna Summer – Last week we said that Anoop had to change his image. His blue jeans geek look could not win the competition. We suggested he come out with a 3 piece suit. So, tonight he did come out with a suit, almost as though he heard us. But he wore a sweater under it, which maintaned the nerd look. Wrong. And the sneakers with the suit and the shit hanging out looked stupid. His vocal was strong, as it usually is. It was better than Lil or Matt vocally. It was original too. OK. His pitch was perfect and his voice powerful. Our Slumdog Idol is still alive. (8/10)
We would put the bottom 3 as Kris, Matt and Lil. Possibly Anoop could kick in there because of tough judging or Allison because she is rock and that isn’t as popular. Adam and Danny are immune. The only way they will be in the bottom 3 is if there are only 3 left.