UPDATE: 12 February 2009
Joanna Pacitti is out of the competition! We just visited the Idol site and Joanna Pacitti’s name wasn’t on the roll but Felicia Barton’s name was! We poked some more and found this short explanation for it: “It has been determined that Joanna Pacitti is ineligible to continue in the competition. Felicia Barton has replaced Ms. Pacitti as part of the Top 36.”
A source close to the show now tells us that Pacitti was disqualified to “avoid the appearance of impropriety.”
In the past week, tabloids had been reporting on a private relationship between Pacitti and executives of 19 Management – one of the companies which oversees “Idol.”
Just when we thought Idol couldn’t be any more interesting, this BIG news came to us! That should settle down all doubts on Idol’s credibility and issue of conflict of interest.
– o –
UPDATE: We found ourselves going back to this post after the Idol Season 8’s over and it is interesting how the contestants change over the course of time and how idol plays to the “hype” as it got closer to Top 12 picks and the finale. Clearly, nobody saw it coming that KRIS ALLEN was going to be the next American Idol! Even FOX didn’t give him the time of day in the audition. He wasn’t highlighted and nothing about a back story. He wasn’t mentioned in any major news and his name doesn’t come up as early front-runner. So we said here as he was picked that he was “Forgettable at this point. Maybe that will change. But he is through.”
He is the most reluctant winner we have ever seen, saying live in front of millions of people, after being announced as winner that “Adam deserves this.” We think Adam should’ve won, Kris thinks Adam should’ve won. But hey, doesn’t really matter who wins right? It is coming out with a commercial album that makes hit after hit wins in the end. Idol title or not.
W hen it gets to this stage, it is difficult to eliminate people. Many are quite good and you are not sure if they got the break they needed they could get to the finals.
In general, this phase will weed out some that should stay and some that should go, but it rarely knocks out anyone that we think could be the winner or even in the top 10. Tonight was not that different, except maybe for one or two that we really thought might have a shot.
We would like to explain our title. The problem with this show is one performer that consistently forgot her words, to the point where in one performance, she wasn’t even singing the concocted babbling sound she was making. What makes her more pathetic is that she is already a recording star. We question whether a person that already has a performance history should be in the show to start with, but if they can’t even remember the words they should be sent packing. As we understand it though, this girl has connections within Idol, which makes her selection to go on to the next round even more pathetic. We will get to her later.
The show did a format change where some people had to sing on the spot in a competition against another contestant. It added a bit of spark, but at the same time to make these people remember words to a song on the spot without rehearsal time when they put through a girl that didn’t remember a single complete verse seems totally unfair.
1. Anoop Desai – The ulitimate singing geek. We have no idea how he could ever be made into a star because of his look, but man, he can sing. He is in!
2. Von Smith – Von Smith did a Stevie Wonder song in the last round and he did it well. His primary problem is he is a shouter. He seemingly cannot control his voice. He did the Stevie song well, but if he gets challenged with a song that is more low key, we think he will find himself back on the bus. But he through this week.
3. Alex Wagner Trugman – Placed into a sing-off with Cody Sheldon, Alex pulled off a mean vocal to take it away from Cody. We don’t think either is a top 10 singer, but Alex is a notch closer than Cody.
4. Adam Lambert – Adam did a Cher song last week. He sounded like a female impersonator. He has an incredible voice, but he is a guy and, call us biased, but we prefer guys to sing like guys. His voice and range got him through, but we think he has to work a bit on his sexuality to be liked enough by America to win. He is through.
5. Taylor Vaifanua – Taylor sang the roof off last week and there was no question for us. Judges agreed. She will be with us into the next phase.
6. Jasmine Murray – Short and sweet, she is talented and she is in.
7. Arianna Afsar – Great singer, great look, very possibly a top ten contender.
8. Casey Carlson – We are on the fence right now with Casey, but she is through.
9. Megan Corkrey – She is In. We never got to hear her sing anything in Hollywood!
10. Stevie Wright – Another huge favorite. She is definitely top 10 material if she plays her cards well.
11. Mishavonna Henson – Not a favorite, but she is good enough to be in this crowd.
12. Joanna Pacitti – Here is total Idol hypocrisy. This woman completely blew every set she did. She was put through only because she has inside connections on Idol. She may be better than we think, and she is practically a professional, but if the judges are going to eliminate other talents when they cannot remember their lyrics, they should not put through their favorites. It is sad she got through when others deserving and harder working did not.
13. Kendall Beard – Kendall has a great overall presentation when she sings and with her personality. She isn’t a champion, but she could pull a dark horse ride into the top 10 on those traits.
14. Jenn Korbee got into a singoff and lost to Kristen McNamara. It was close and we are not sure of this decision. Neither was Simon. Still Kristen can wale when she gets the right tune.
15. Alexis Grace wins worst haircut in the show this year. It looks like someone took a cheap pair of barber shears to her head and two cans of spray paint. But she is a top ten singer and going through.
16. Scott MacIntyre – Good vocalist, not great. He is through.
17. Lil Rounds – She is round all right. We caught Ryan Seacrest glancing at her derriere after she was put through. Lil has a great smile and carries herself perfectly. She is top ten all the way, but she better watch out for Ryan.
18. Frankie Jordan could not hit the notes strongly enough in a sing off with Jesse Lanseth. Jesse outsang her and moved on sending Frankie packing. We think this one a shame because she deserved it more than Joanna Pacitti even if Joanna turns out to be better in the long run.
19. Allison Iraheta – At 16, this girl has a future that is nearly infinite. We are not sure if she can carry the pressure to the top 10, but she is in.
20. Danny Gokey – Our favorite to take it all.
21. Ricky Braddy – In
22. Matt Giraud – Was there a doubt?
23. Ju’Not Joyner – Not a top 10, but definitely top 30.
24. Jorge Nunez – Great voice. Needs a less in how to dress, but he could get into that top 10.
25. Brent Keith – Another of the wardrobe challenged, but his singing got past his T-Shirt attire.
26. Stephen Fowler – Stephen had a battle with his lyrics last week, but his voice is so soothing and smooth, if he can get past it, he is an easy score for the top 10. Unlike Joanna Pacitti who did nothing right, Stephen just got nervous on his last performance. If he wasn’t so good though, he could have been sent packing.
27. Nick Mitchell – He is a crazy and he is funny. He is the champion of the freaks, and he plays the part to a T. He is not a strong enough singer to compete into the top 10, but he is a strong enough performer because he is such a nut it could get votes.
28. Jackie Tohn – Doesn’t that sound like a stage name to you? She has a great voice that sounds much like Janis Joplin, but proved her range last week. Top 10.
29. Tatiana Del Toro – Simon said it all. “Tatiana, just try for once not to be annoying”. She was still annoying, but she also is a winner and got through.
30. Nathaniel Marshall, who is a bit of a freak, beat out Jackie Midkiff in a sing off to move on. This one was well off the mark. Jackie outsang Nathaniel and again, he was a performer more deserving than Joanna Pacitti.
31. Jeanine Vailes – Not unanimous, but through.
32. Kai Kalama – He can definitely sing and could be a top ten performer, but there is something in his appearance that is holding him back from the top 10 for us.
33. Anne Marie Boskovich – A great singer with a nice look. Not top ten for us, but definitely deserved to get through here and did.
34. Kris Allen – Forgettable at this point. Maybe that will change. But he is through.
35. Matt Breitzke – Through on a staged sing-off.
36. Michael Sarver – Also through on a staged sing-off.