“I want to say to Zendaya and anyone else out there that I have hurt, I am so sincerely sorry,” Rancic said.
1. A day after Giuliana Rancic mocked Zendaya’s dreadlocks at the Oscars on Fashion Police by suggesting she “smells like patchouli oil,” Rancic issued an apology in a recorded video message.
2. Here’s her apology in full:
“I’d really like to address something that is weighing very heavy on my heart. I want to apologize for a comment that I made on last night’s Fashion Police about Zendaya’s hair. Now, as you know, Fashion Police is a show that pokes fun at celebrities in good spirit, but I do understand that something I said last night did cross the line. I just want everyone to know I didn’t intend to hurt anybody. But I have learned it is not my intent that matters, it’s the result. And the result is that people are offended, including Zendaya and that is not OK. Therefore, I want to say to Zendaya and anyone else out there that I have hurt, that I am so, so sincerely sorry. This really has been a learning experience for me. I’ve learned a lot today and this incident has taught me to be a lot more aware of cliches and stereotypes — how much damage they can do — and that I am responsible, as we all are, to not perpetuate them further. Thank you for listening.”
3. Rancic’s Fashion Police comment was met with a ton of backlash on Monday night, including a heartfelt message from Zendaya.
4. But there was also the fact that another panelist chimed in after Rancic’s comment, suggesting Zendaya could also smell like “weed.” Many people speculated that Kelly Osbourne threw out the “weed” mention.
6. But Osbourne responded on Twitter, saying she did not make the “weed” comment, that she’s friends with Zendaya, and adding she’s considering leaving Fashion Police due to the controversy.
I WILL NOT BE DRAGED INTO THIS! The situation is being rectified like ADULTS by both parties. I hope you can leave it to them & do the same!
Im giving everyone involved 24 hours to make it right or the world will hear how I really feel. contactually Im not allowed to speak!
I DID NOT MAKE THE WEED COMENT. I DO NOT CONDONE RACISM SO AS A RSULT OF THIS IM SEREIOULSY QUESTIONONIG STAYING ON THE SHOW!