UPDATE: 12 February 2009
Joanna Pacitti is out of the competition! We just visited the Idol site and Joanna Pacitti’s name wasn’t on the roll but Felicia Barton’s name was! We poked some more and found this short explanation for it: “It has been determined that Joanna Pacitti is ineligible to continue in the competition. Felicia Barton has replaced Ms. Pacitti as part of the Top 36.”
A source close to the show now tells us that Pacitti was disqualified to “avoid the appearance of impropriety.”
In the past week, tabloids had been reporting on a private relationship between Pacitti and executives of 19 Management – one of the companies which oversees “Idol.”
Just when we thought Idol couldn’t be any more interesting, this BIG news came to us! That should settle down all doubts on Idol’s credibility and issue of conflict of interest.
– o –
UPDATE: We found ourselves going back to this post after the Idol Season 8’s over and it is interesting how the contestants change over the course of time and how idol plays to the “hype” as it got closer to Top 12 picks and the finale. Clearly, nobody saw it coming that KRIS ALLEN was going to be the next American Idol! Even FOX didn’t give him the time of day in the audition. He wasn’t highlighted and nothing about a back story. He wasn’t mentioned in any major news and his name doesn’t come up as early front-runner. So we said here as he was picked that he was “Forgettable at this point. Maybe that will change. But he is through.”
He is the most reluctant winner we have ever seen, saying live in front of millions of people, after being announced as winner that “Adam deserves this.” We think Adam should’ve won, Kris thinks Adam should’ve won. But hey, doesn’t really matter who wins right? It is coming out with a commercial album that makes hit after hit wins in the end. Idol title or not.
W hen it gets to this stage, it is difficult to eliminate people. Many are quite good and you are not sure if they got the break they needed they could get to the finals.
In general, this phase will weed out some that should stay and some that should go, but it rarely knocks out anyone that we think could be the winner or even in the top 10. Tonight was not that different, except maybe for one or two that we really thought might have a shot.
We would like to explain our title. The problem with this show is one performer that consistently forgot her words, to the point where in one performance, she wasn’t even singing the concocted babbling sound she was making. What makes her more pathetic is that she is already a recording star. We question whether a person that already has a performance history should be in the show to start with, but if they can’t even remember the words they should be sent packing. As we understand it though, this girl has connections within Idol, which makes her selection to go on to the next round even more pathetic. We will get to her later.
The show did a format change where some people had to sing on the spot in a competition against another contestant. It added a bit of spark, but at the same time to make these people remember words to a song on the spot without rehearsal time when they put through a girl that didn’t remember a single complete verse seems totally unfair.
1. Anoop Desai – The ulitimate singing geek. We have no idea how he could ever be made into a star because of his look, but man, he can sing. He is in!
2. Von Smith – Von Smith did a Stevie Wonder song in the last round and he did it well. His primary problem is he is a shouter. He seemingly cannot control his voice. He did the Stevie song well, but if he gets challenged with a song that is more low key, we think he will find himself back on the bus. But he through this week.
3. Alex Wagner Trugman – Placed into a sing-off with Cody Sheldon, Alex pulled off a mean vocal to take it away from Cody. We don’t think either is a top 10 singer, but Alex is a notch closer than Cody.
4. Adam Lambert – Adam did a Cher song last week. He sounded like a female impersonator. He has an incredible voice, but he is a guy and, call us biased, but we prefer guys to sing like guys. His voice and range got him through, but we think he has to work a bit on his sexuality to be liked enough by America to win. He is through.
5. Taylor Vaifanua – Taylor sang the roof off last week and there was no question for us. Judges agreed. She will be with us into the next phase.
6. Jasmine Murray – Short and sweet, she is talented and she is in.
7. Arianna Afsar – Great singer, great look, very possibly a top ten contender.
8. Casey Carlson – We are on the fence right now with Casey, but she is through.
9. Megan Corkrey – She is In. We never got to hear her sing anything in Hollywood!
10. Stevie Wright – Another huge favorite. She is definitely top 10 material if she plays her cards well.
11. Mishavonna Henson – Not a favorite, but she is good enough to be in this crowd.
12. Joanna Pacitti – Here is total Idol hypocrisy. This woman completely blew every set she did. She was put through only because she has inside connections on Idol. She may be better than we think, and she is practically a professional, but if the judges are going to eliminate other talents when they cannot remember their lyrics, they should not put through their favorites. It is sad she got through when others deserving and harder working did not.
13. Kendall Beard – Kendall has a great overall presentation when she sings and with her personality. She isn’t a champion, but she could pull a dark horse ride into the top 10 on those traits.
14. Jenn Korbee got into a singoff and lost to Kristen McNamara. It was close and we are not sure of this decision. Neither was Simon. Still Kristen can wale when she gets the right tune.
15. Alexis Grace wins worst haircut in the show this year. It looks like someone took a cheap pair of barber shears to her head and two cans of spray paint. But she is a top ten singer and going through.
16. Scott MacIntyre – Good vocalist, not great. He is through.
17. Lil Rounds – She is round all right. We caught Ryan Seacrest glancing at her derriere after she was put through. Lil has a great smile and carries herself perfectly. She is top ten all the way, but she better watch out for Ryan.
18. Frankie Jordan could not hit the notes strongly enough in a sing off with Jesse Lanseth. Jesse outsang her and moved on sending Frankie packing. We think this one a shame because she deserved it more than Joanna Pacitti even if Joanna turns out to be better in the long run.
19. Allison Iraheta – At 16, this girl has a future that is nearly infinite. We are not sure if she can carry the pressure to the top 10, but she is in.
20. Danny Gokey – Our favorite to take it all.
21. Ricky Braddy – In
22. Matt Giraud – Was there a doubt?
23. Ju’Not Joyner – Not a top 10, but definitely top 30.
24. Jorge Nunez – Great voice. Needs a less in how to dress, but he could get into that top 10.
25. Brent Keith – Another of the wardrobe challenged, but his singing got past his T-Shirt attire.
26. Stephen Fowler – Stephen had a battle with his lyrics last week, but his voice is so soothing and smooth, if he can get past it, he is an easy score for the top 10. Unlike Joanna Pacitti who did nothing right, Stephen just got nervous on his last performance. If he wasn’t so good though, he could have been sent packing.
27. Nick Mitchell – He is a crazy and he is funny. He is the champion of the freaks, and he plays the part to a T. He is not a strong enough singer to compete into the top 10, but he is a strong enough performer because he is such a nut it could get votes.
28. Jackie Tohn – Doesn’t that sound like a stage name to you? She has a great voice that sounds much like Janis Joplin, but proved her range last week. Top 10.
29. Tatiana Del Toro – Simon said it all. “Tatiana, just try for once not to be annoying”. She was still annoying, but she also is a winner and got through.
30. Nathaniel Marshall, who is a bit of a freak, beat out Jackie Midkiff in a sing off to move on. This one was well off the mark. Jackie outsang Nathaniel and again, he was a performer more deserving than Joanna Pacitti.
31. Jeanine Vailes – Not unanimous, but through.
32. Kai Kalama – He can definitely sing and could be a top ten performer, but there is something in his appearance that is holding him back from the top 10 for us.
33. Anne Marie Boskovich – A great singer with a nice look. Not top ten for us, but definitely deserved to get through here and did.
34. Kris Allen – Forgettable at this point. Maybe that will change. But he is through.
35. Matt Breitzke – Through on a staged sing-off.
36. Michael Sarver – Also through on a staged sing-off.
The early rounds of eliminations in Hollywood don’t draw the audience of the latter shows. Perhaps it is for the same reason some fast forward through a movie to the more exciting scenes. This part just isn’t all that thrilling.
The show also, at this juncture, misses out on why some people are eliminated and others made it through. We see that many names make it, but we don’t see them perform. Similarly, many are cut, and we don’t know the reason because their audition was snuffed from the television airwaves.
Nonetheless, we do get a glimpse of the real stars at times, and this week there were several that stood out as being on the path to the finals.
Lil Rounds, who is indeed rather round, is from Memphis and wowed the judges. We thought she was a bit harsh at times, but there is no question, if she smooths out her tonality, she could be in the top 10.
Dennis Brigham of Glen Carbon Illinois looked like a Halloween character while performing, and didn’t have the vocals to be here. He was real rude to the judges on his way out the door and back to his job in floor maintenance. But we do give Dennis one thing, he called Simon’s wardrobe right on the money.
Nathaniel Marshall of Malone, NY was fairly good on the vocals, but was boring. His emotional outburst was over the top and embarrassing. We don’t think he has the talent to make the top 10, Top 36 even but he survived round one of Hollywood.
Anoop Desai from Chapel Hill, NC is incredibly talented and the voice that emerges when he sings is clearly finals material. If he makes it in the industry, though, we think he may have to change his name. We just can’t picture people talking about going to an Anoop concert or seeing Anoop live!
Jasmine Murray of Starkville, MS was a killer in dress, form and function. She moves on and also looks like she could well be finals bound.
Rose Flack, well, what can we say. Rose is from Rathdrum, ID and is as different an individual as we have seen make it on the show. Her voice is unique, but it may not be powerful enough to get to the finals. Whether her unique tones can carry her is difficult to call, but we will see her again, because she broke through tonight. From her recent attire, though, we are thinking Rose could be performing for two if you get our drift. (She didn’t make it in Round 2 of Hollywood week!)
Stephen Fowler of Beachwood, OH sings almost like a pro. He has range and power in his voice, but knows how to harness it so it isn’t painful when he makes his delivery. He is in and we could easily see him in the finals.
Jorge Nunez from Carolina, Puerto Rico can wale. He seems a bit odd in his attire, but he could sing anyway. Finalist? Not sure just yet, but certainly worth watching.
Next up is someone we have not liked. Von Smith of Greenwood, MO. We find him just the opposite of Stephen Fowler. While Fowler controls his voice, Smith seems unable to do so. When challenged, it is more like he is yelling at the mike. If he can’t tone it down and take control, he won’t make it much further.
Nick Mitchell was back as “Norman Gentle” from Stratton, VT, or Mars, we are not sure which. He is comical and maybe should come back on Last Comic Standing, but he survived this week. His voice isn’t top notch though, and the talent is broad this year, so we don’t see him getting past the next round.
Jackie Tohn of Silver Lake, CA has the name to be a rock star. She has that raspy Janis Joplin style voice and pulls it off well with a Janis performance style as well. We shall see if she can break out of that niche when challenged and push farther. We do like her, but we are not sure if a niche style like hers can persevere on Idol for long.
Jamar Rogers of Milwaukee, WI sang the same song as at his original audition and made it through. We don’t see him as a finalist or going to the Top 36, but he is unique.
Our favorite in this competition to take it all is the next performer and a friend of Jamar. Danny Gokey, also from Milwaukee sounds like he is already making professional CDs. He is a Church Music Teacher, and he is teaching everyone at Idol music. While he doesn’t come across as arrogant, he does have a confidence about him. He knows he is good. We do too. If we had to pick a winner today, he would be it.
Now it was time for the ultimate performer. Bikini Girl!! Katrina Darrell was fairly good. Not outstanding, but certainly worth a pass onto the next round. Paula and Kara seem not to like her, but we think that is all a staged act to keep things interesting. Katrina wore more clothing today and we think she may have to go back to the bikini to stay in the competition to the Top 36.
Jeremy Michael Sarver of Jasper, TX is a big lad, and he is also a great singer. We haven’t gotten enough of a feel for him and have not liked his choice of songs, but think he has a shot at continuing for a bit. He was good enough to push through this night.
Jesus Valenzuela of North Highlands, CA was not as fortunate. We thought he did as well as some others that made it, so were a bit surprised. He wasn’t the next American Idol, but he ain’t bad, so we feel he was shortchanged.
David Osmond, of Provo, UT could have made it using a different route than Idol, but he would have been medicre. If he makes it on Idol, he will be more famous. We may see more talents saving themselves for a run at Idol rather than the standard route because it is more cost effective. He will likely be a finalist. (UPDATE: We were wrong!)
Emily Wynn-Hughes of Los Angeles, CA is of a similar vein. She has sung and performed professionally. But this route, if she can pull it off, can make her a much bigger star than she would otherwise be. No surprises, the pros get through to the next round and will likely be finalists unless something really really goes wrong along Hollywood week. (Something did go wrong!)
There were others like Casey Carlson who made it that we didn’t hear. We are sorry we cannot comment on them. But we will as soon as we hear them.