Just for kicks we searched the names of all the Top 24 American Idol Season 9 contestants in Facebook and compared fan numbers. We weren’t surprise to see that Andrew Garcia (35,513), Casey James (23,583) and Katie Stevens (20,255) show the most number of fans with a combined total of 79,351 fans as of February 28th. These numbers were most likely related to the three doing so well in the Audition and Hollywood week, and not so much on their Top 24 performances. Good for them, they were the Idol producers’ favorites as well as the judges’ early picks- they had the most air time among all the contestants!
Surprise, surprise John Park comes in 4th with 18,370 fans. If we were judging based on his dry “God Bless the Child” Top 24 performance, we would have booted him and saved Joe Munoz instead! Poor Joe, he showed very little exposure on Idol that his cute Jason Mraz “You and I Both” didn’t save him from being cut. He’s got 2,049 fans on Facebook. Fifth in line with most fans is teeny-bopper crush material Aaron Kelly with 17,269.
Didn’t the judges openly admit they want a girl to win this year? While Facebook fan numbers isn’t necessarily a good predictor of who is going to win this season or who is leading on the Idol stage, it is somewhat close an indicator on who will at least make it to the top 12 to go on tour! The low turnout of fan numbers may also very well say that if something as easy as clicking a button on Facebook (“become a fan”) couldn’t do it, then people are not going to spend time and money to text the contestants number or push the dial on the phone.
The Top 12 American Idol Contestants based on number of Facebook fans:
1. Andrew Garcia (35,513)
2. Casey James (23,583)
3. John Park (18,370)
4. Aaron Kelly (17,269)
5. Tim Urban (10,449) really? we thought he should “apologize” for his sloppy performance on AI night.
6. Lee DeWyze (8,211) dark horse among the guys!
7. Jermaine Sellers (6,250)
1. Katie Stevens (20,255) sing contemporary, age appropriate songs and you’ll keep the lead.
2. Crystal Bowersox (9,810) the rocker mom’s got the nod!
3. Didi Benami (8,404) If you have the urge, please do not sing Colbie Caillat or Sara Bareilles, UNLESS you make a new arrangement of the songs; they’re too SAFE and easy and they’ve been so overplayed people are tired of hearing their songs. Surprise us!
4. Lacey Brown (7,019) she better do well on her next performance. the audience might not be forgiving the second time!
5. Siobhan Magnus (6,095) – dark horse among the girls!
6. Katelyn Epperly (5,144)
7. Lilly Scott (3,085) we think she should be in the top 12 but perhaps she is too “Indie” for an Idol platform so she’s not getting enough fans?
A twist is that Tyler Grady (8,191) has more fans than Jermaine or Alex and he was cut. Janell Wheeler (3,126) and Ashley Rodriguez (4,548) have more fans than Lilly Scott and they were both cut. If it isn’t too early to predict that the next to go are Michael Lynche (1,258): he’s a mediocre a capable singer really but lacks star quality; his backstory brought him to the Top 24 and/or Todrick Hall (4,353): takes too much risks! and or Alex Lambert (4,852): too uncomfortable on stage; can’t fight off the nerves and it shows in his face!
The next to go in the girls might or could be Michelle Delamor (1,559), too sound-alike, good voice but not enough and or Paige Miles (3,816): Simon really likes her but a lot of people do not know her well. Like Michelle, she didn’t get enough exposure during the audition and Hollywood week and or Haeley Vaughn (2,088): Haeley, dear Haeley, we would have voted you off based on that shrilly “I want to hold your hand” performance. You are the weakest link.
Any of them could go and they will not be missed on the Idol stage… Prove us wrong you guys!