Tonight it was easy to pick the bottom of the pack, but the peak performers were so great that we have to really start to wonder who could actually pull this off.
In general, the judges were on the mark. At times, their comments were rather stupid, mostly Randy, but even Simon totally missed the mark on a couple of artists.
The performers started off careful, because the choice had to be a Michael Jackson song. And not too many people have the guts to sing a Michael Jackson song that was a huge hit.
It can break you talent wise because it is so very hard to make original. And if you sing it exactly like him, you sound like Sunday Night at the Juke Box.
But let’s have at it and pick our losers from the final 13. [Listen to all the songs from tonight (Audio MP3) at the bottom of this post.]
1. Lil Rounds – “The Way You Make Me Feel”– The round girl picked up a big hit and did it with style. We loved it, she was sexy but her outfit, well, let’s just say it belonged at her high school prom not on this stage. We are not going to rank the people, we will just say whether they are in or not. Lil is IN!!
2.. Scott MacIntyre – “Keep The Faith” – Scott did an obscure Jackson song, and he was OK. But OK isn’t good enough. His piano was great, but this isn’t an instrumental competition. His song is flattish with that tone deaf sound and it is hard for us to believe we would ever want to listen to him on the radio. OUT.
3. Danny Gokey – “PYT (Pretty Young Thing)” – Danny is amazing. He has a voice that could take anything and make it great and he made this tune unique and powerful. He took a completely obscure song and made it a hit. His biggest problem was he went too early, so we forgot how great he was by the time other great performances showed up towards the end. We loved it. IN
4. Michael Sarver – “You Are Not Alone” – We were impressed with Michael tonight. We did not think he deserved to be here, but tonight he won us over with a strong vocal. Our problem is he is boring in his movements, his face looks completely awkward when he pushes, and in general, he could be eliminated and not a soul would miss him. But for this week… IN.
5. Jasmine Murray – “I’ll Be There” – Jasmine clocked in with the worst performance of the night. We honestly could not get through a second listen to judge it. It was painfully off key. She has the vocal chords, but can’t find the pitch, which makes it gut wrenching to listen to. She is gone, no question. OUT.
6. Kris Allen – “Remember the Time” – Fun performance from a cute guy. Not much else to say. Not the best, not the worst. IN.
7. Allison Iraheta – “Give In To Me” – We have seen rockers come and go on this show and we remember some of them, but we will remember Allison. She is a true rocker at only age 16. She hit this song and made even a true rocker like a Michael Jackson tune. Great performance. IN
8. Anoop Desai – “Beat It” – We think the judges were particularly hard on Anoop. He did this with some style and had fun with it. Problem is that he is out of his league now. There are other performers that are vastly better than he is. We are on the fence with him, but our initial call is… OUT.
9. Jorge Nunez – “Never Can Say Goodbye” – Well, Jorge started way off key and we were trying to figure him out, but then he hit his stride and was great the rest of the way. The judges were harsh on him, and called him old fashioned, but we think he was respectable. IN.
10. Megan Joy Corkrey – “Rockin’ Robin” – The performance was very cute, but it made us uncomfortable. It was not Megan at all, and it did not do her any favors. Her characteristic moves and notes did not fit the song and her performance was off the mark. Nothing stood out, so her only chance to stay in would be even worse performances. OUT.
11. Adam Lambert – “Black Or White” – OK, Now Adam kicked everyone else out of the house. He was powerful, his screams incredible as usual, and his vocal range unchallenged. We are big Danny fans and have to say we think Adam won the night over Danny on this occasion. It is a bit possible he took himself a bit too seriously in his performance, but that is a stretch at saying something negative. IN.
12. Matt Giraud – “Human Nature” – Now, we were very disappointed with Matt in past performances, but behind the piano he shows he could be a star. He had to follow the best performance of the night and we were ready to write him off. His falsetto was superb. He proved that we were way off the mark and put us on the Matt. IN
13. Alexis Grace – “Dirty Diana” – Simon and Randy were so far off the mark on their calls on this tune, we had to wonder if they had a motive. Alexis killed this tune and gave Adam a run for the money. She looked spectacular, like a born star and was the best outfit of the night by far, which not one judge mentioned. She truly Graced the stage and Simon and Randy should get hearing aids. IN
So where does that leave us, it leaves us with two that have to leave and we would send home four, so this should be easy. The worst performances were…
Scott MacIntyre, Jasmine Murray, Megan Joy Corkrey and Anoop Desai
If we had to choose who to send home out of these four? Jasmine is first to go, Then it is pretty much a toss up. We would like to see Megan again when she is more in her element. We don’t like Scott and think he is off key but may get the sympathy vote. And we think Anoop picked a horrible song because he wasn’t good enough to pull off that big a hit, so he could be a goner.
We can’t choose who to send home, but we expect no surprises this week from the IN crowd.
Photos and videos later! 🙂
[poll id=”66″][poll id=”67″]